Thursday, April 14, 2011

Car repair tests my goal to get out of debt

We knew our good luck wouldn't last forever. It happened and we may have passed our first test (although not with flying colors). I'm talking about how my car repair tests my goal to get out of debt. 

I've found out that you can ignore the knock under the hood but it's harder to ignore a problem that almost leaves you stranded on I-75. After getting it started again we decided to head over to Midas in Knoxville. These guys can fix just about anything. 

Since the car repair would test my goal to get out debt we braced for impact. At 210,000+ miles the spark plugs and wires were well past their prime. Those were changed and a couple of sensors. Midas in Knoxville charged $433. Hubby called around to compare prices for this article. The guys did a great job and the price is good.

My PT Cruiser
The problem is that the car wasn't fixed. We wound up heading over to Jim Cogdill Dodge. I really felt that his car repair would test my goal to get out of debt now. Car repair bills from dealerships aren't cheap. We braced for more impact. Replacing a part near one of the sensors cost $220. 

I picked the car up, almost got stranded and headed back to the dealership. Kudos to the tech for finding the problem. One of the new sensors was bad. There was no additional charge to replace it and Midas gave our money back to us for the sensor repair. 

Our unexpected expense hit is $500. I've made about $200 in writing so far this month. The challenge will be to see if I can make the whole total. 

Hubby has some reimbursements coming from work that will help too. The hit is impacting my goal to get out of debt. We've done pretty well though. Now, to see how we do for the rest of the month. I'm taking Hubby's lunch to him as I head to the grocery store. Done more frequently, little things like that help too.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! Unexpected debts are tough to deal with. Stick with your plan, though - you'll make it! rcj

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subject and content were just great. I think that your insight is deep, its just well thought out and really interesting.
    vacations

    ReplyDelete