Monday, May 16, 2011

What I liked about Managing Debt for Dummies

Reading as many helpful books as possible is part of my getting out of debt plan. Obviously, I know nothing about dealing with or handling money. If I did, my family possibly wouldn't be in this mess.

Past experience with the"...for Dummies" series has always been pretty good. So, I decided to check there to see what is available. Once again, this series did not let me down.

I've found Managing Debt For Dummies to be a pretty helpful guide. The book cost me $11.55 on Amazon. Used bookstores may have a copy for less.

The chapters are well laid out and written in a light conversational tone. The author manages to help you believe that it's possible to get a handle on your debt situation.

Granted, the information in the book isn't always pleasant. No one likes 'Facing Financial Facts' as outlined in chapter 2.


The chapter in Managing Debt For Dummies that spoke to me the most is the Chapter 3. Adopting an Attitude for Success is something that I'm struggling with. This part of the book has helped me keep a positive focus, motivate my family to help and its helped me deal with the setbacks in a more positive way.

One of the things that is mentioned is to not beat yourself if up you feel like you are responsible for you family's financial woes (paraphrased). Managing Debt For Dummies is helping me see that if I am responsible for it then I can improve it.

Even better than seeing that is believing it to be true. The book is reinforcing my belief that things can get better and its helping give me tools to do just that.

There website www.dummies.com also has some helpful tools. Check under Personal Finance to learn about having fun for free, creating a budget, dealing with financial shortfalls and more.

I'll be posting about other tools as I find them. If you know of any please give a shout out in the comments section. I'm happy for all the information that I can get! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Although bankruptcy should be used as a last resort, knowing what bankruptcy can and cannot do for you can be your most valuable weapon in your fight against debt.
    Debt Relief

    ReplyDelete