Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why don't you take donations to pay off debt

A reader wrote to ask why I haven't asked for donations to go toward getting out of debt. It's not my intention to offend her but the suggestion doesn't seem right for me. Yes, a lot of our bills are medical but a lot of other people face high medical bills every day. I don't feel right about asking people who are in a similar boat to bail me out when we're essentially in it together.

This doesn't mean that crowd based fundraising is a bad idea. It's just not one that will work for me. If I needed help for a mission trip or something, then that might be different. When you are in the nonprofit business, you're already asking for money a lot of the time. Friends that might give me money for the debt load are probably already supporting the charity.

There are many ways to earn online without asking for handouts. Here are a few methods that work for me.

Pay-per-click and other ads on this site are helping me make a few dollars. It's not much but it does help. My other two blogs are also monetized. These are You've Been Reviewed and Gayle Crabtree.com. Online writing on the Yahoo Voices, Examiner and Knoji also helps.

If someone really wants to help they can visit the online writing sites and share the links with others. That generates $2.00 per 1,500 page views or a little less depending on the site. Tweeting the links or otherwise sharing them helps me raise funds to get out of debt. By all means, please visit the sites frequently to read my work.

Every page view helps! And, it works without anyone acquiring additional debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment