Friday, January 27, 2012

Food Lion has big bargains at store closures

It makes me sad that or local Food Lion Food Lion store is one of the closures. They've usually had big bargains when compared to other grocery stores but now the savings are substantial. Almost everything in our local at my favorite Food Lion store is 50% off as of the day of this writing

Average items that go BOGO frequently are on sale. Beer is not. Other items that are never available at deep discounts are included.And guess what? They are taking manufacturers coupons (not store coupons).

For example, Tazo tea and Twinings are among my favorite brands of tea. Today, I paid about $2 for each box at at Food Lion. Big bargains at the store closure meant that we bought a portable gas grill for $10. It's almost exactly like the one we wore out last summer and was at least $15 cheaper.

Food Lion is pretty well picked over. Bargains at the store closure is drawing first time Food Lion customers. Although the store is largely empty, deals remain and most on some of the more expensive items.

For example, I snagged a few bottles of spices. Starbucks coffee didn't make it into my buggy at Food Lion today but Godiva chocolate did. Brand name pet treats and shampoos came home with me. The closure at Food Lion also gave me an opportunity to buy oven bags, Febreeze, Ritz Dye and dishwashing detergent. The manufacturer coupons made the cost savings go even deeper.

Still, as good as the bargains may be the savings come at the higher cost of lost jobs, My daughter worked for a Food Lion one summer. We value the jobs that are being dissolved and I wish a way could have been found to keep the store open. My heart goes out to everyone who is being displaced. My prayer is that despite the Food Lion closures, you will be able to find other employment soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment