Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why poor people can't stop the debt cycle

I've read a lot of articles about being poor and experienced it myself. Nothing says it better than 5 Things Nobody Tells You About Being Poor. It outlines the cycle very well.

A few experts say that making more money won't solve financial problems because you will blow it the extra income. I've been told that the key is to manage what you have. I've also been told to use financial windfalls to pay off past due bills.

I'm sure that works fine for some people. If it works for you, good. Part of the problem for my family is that there isn't enough income to cover everything. After all, that's why I'm writing.

Let me put it in concrete terms. A young couple starting out doesn't have a washing machine. They go to the laundromat and pay, pay, pay. Pretty soon they could have bought a washer. The way to stop using the laundromat is to buy a washing machine.

But, money they could use for a washer is being spent at the laundromat. If the new couple could have afforded a washer they would have gotten one. So, the cycle continues. The pattern is broken when someone either steps in to buy them one or they get a windfall and buy it.

General finances seem to be that way too.  At least mine are. That's why I'm using the money earned by writing to pay off bills. Give me a week or two to get over a health issue and I'll post new totals.

Granted, the writing money isn't a huge amount. It's literally $5 - $10 here and $3 there or maybe a few pennies from ad clicks on the site. But, that $5 is a little over a gallon of gas. Toss in those pennies and at the end of the month and it's 2 gallons of gas.

Thank you for reading my Getting Out of Debt Journey.  If you are on this journey with me please stay encouraged. Every little bit adds up and every 'add-up' pays down a bill. I think that we can do this.

Let's cheer each other on in the comments section shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment