Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Another car repair for the PT Cruiser

I have another car repair problem on the PT Cruiser. This time it's a biggie. The check engine light keeps coming on, it runs rough and the gas mileage is lower than it has been. My car can be driven but the problems are making the PT Cruiser temperamental at times.

It was in for the same problem about two weeks ago and acted up shortly afterword. Taking it to the repair shop (again) seemed logical but frustrating. Before taking it in, my husband and a mechanic friend looked the car over. They tried everything they could think of to get the car repair done. Everything was in vain. Now, we know why.

My beloved PT Cruiser is not holding compression and needs new engine is in order. But, it's a very expensive proposition. We're looking at around $3,600 for the car repair. The engine itself is about $2500. It's another $500-$600 to install plus taxes, other parts and some preventative work.

I keep reminding myself that $3,600 is still less expensive than five or six years at $??? per month. The main temptation to purchase another vehicle is that the monthly payments are easier than coming up with a lump sum amount.

It's frustrating. My new part-time position caused my income to decrease for the past few months. My schedule is just now beginning to level off. I'm not sure how we are going to handle the car repair bill. A yard sale and eBay auction may be in my future along with additional blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment